Greetings from Maryland

Welcome to the Club. Say "Hi!"
mdtommyd

Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:24 pm

Hi there!

Not as prolific as y'all, only have 36 so far (intern). In my defense, I've only been at it less than a year, averaging about 1 a week and as much as discretionary funds allow.

I'm strictly a backer, at least for now. Thought I'd be using KS for obscure and specialized technology, but find that I've backed artistic endeavors (books, posters, etc) the most. Second surprise for me is how many gifts I'm finding here - just have to get better at estimating the (usually) inevitable delays.

Look forward to sharing my experience (so far) and learning from more seasoned veterans.

Regards to all.
--- Tom
IsrealNahsohn

Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 pm

Welcome aboard. I'm new like you, only a couple of months into KS and crowd funding. Up to 70 backed projects. Waiting for my first project to deliver in a month.
numbat1

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:07 pm

Welcome. Don't be surprised if your backing rate increases now you have joined. This is a great place to find even more projects you wish to support.

I have definitely had to adjust my backing pattern and many more projects are now backed at the $1 level to show my support and help their numbers. Some are projects I'd love to back at a higher level but simply can not afford to at this time. Be backing for $1 I hope to be able to follow along and maybe purchase the product at a later date.
TashaTurner

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Welcome. Backing projects can be addictive. Keep an eye on your budget and as numbat1 and I are learning $1 and sharing goes a long way... But also can add up fast. I use Kickstarter for almost all my gift buying. But I never depend on a specific project for an upcoming occasion. I got ahead on gifts which helped.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
IsrealNahsohn

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:18 pm

Darn, you made me think about my cost and budget. Just looked at my pledges, 1500 from dec - date, if all projects are funded. But I really want the projects I am backing!
numbat1

Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:41 pm

It is hard Isreal, I struggle with the discipline needed to stay in budget. I have spent a scary amount on Kickstarter.
IsrealNahsohn

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:02 am

Tell me about it. I have yet to receive one item from kickstarter project. One item in late February, one in March, andone in April if all works out. I think once I get something physically, I might stop thinking eww and ahh and will only do support levels. I bet if I wait, these items will be in retail at a better cost due to lowered material cost and assembly.
mdtommyd

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:34 am

Israel -
The physical items will come, just never as fast as you'd like. There's usually some unforeseen event that will happen which will delay your KS project. It's ok, it's just the nature of the beast. My practical advice on this is never to go for a reward tier that promises delivery by a certain date. I got burned a bit on one of those - opted for a 'by Christmas' tier, wound up getting it little after New Year. Not bad, but paid the premium for nothing. Unless the creator has done many projects before, they don't have the experience to pull off that kind of guarantee.

Numbat1 and Tasha -
Thanks for the tip about the lower levels and sharing. I've started to do that. As far as the budget goes, I'm going to treat this like you're supposed to for gambling - never bet what you can't afford to lose.

--- Tom
--- Tom
numbat1

Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:09 pm

That's a great way to look at it Tom.
IsrealNahsohn

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 am

Tom,

Great insight. I will learn when to bid $1 and when to go all in. Got a message that I will get a survey tomorrow.. One step closer I guess