Hello from Dallas

Welcome to the Club. Say "Hi!"
mflagler

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:56 pm

I'm fairly new to KS, and just hit my 25 to be a BC intern. I backed my first project 9 months ago when I was searching for a product I didn't know even existed, but I was hoping something was out there, and it just happened to come up as a kickstarter. 3 months later, I backed another project, and it was successful. Then after following The Oatmeal on Facebook, he posted that he had a game on Kickstarter, so I backed it...which led to me backing 22 more projects over the last month or 2.

I mostly back technology, games, and design, but have found a couple other projects outside of that I've liked as well.

One question for those of you who have done far more than myself. Many projects on BC have additional perks. Some are an extra discount, others are extra items for free, and others are free shipping. I see some say how to get the extra discount, but others just say you get something extra with no way saying how to specify it. Do the creators check a list at the end of the campaign to see which backers to send it to? Do we have to send them a PM? On ones with free shipping, how does that work if shipping is added automatically?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm becoming a huge fan of Kickstarter now, and see myself backing more and more projects as time goes on.

Thanks,

Michael
mdtommyd

Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Welcome Michael! You'll keep finding more and more things to support - welcome to the dark side :mrgreen:

As far as how creators know what to do with rewards, I'll defer to some of the other BC members who are also creators, but I think it's two things: 1) KS somehow can identify BC members to creators someway, so creators can do some rewards automatically. 2) If the reward is 'complicated', it won't fit neatly in the available boxes that KS has for creators, so the creators ask you to message them to let them know what's what. I've never had a free shipping BC reward come into play for me so can't say on that.

Again, welcome.

--- Tom
--- Tom
IsrealNahsohn

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Hi michael,

Welcome aboard. I've seen project where you have to comment and email for freeby/discount. I've also been told projects can compare your email to a list given to them from BackerClub. Some project owners don't figure out what to do, until someone more experienced points it out. If there is no direction as to how to get the extra, feel free to message the project owner. We recently had a project that didn't say how to get the extra and some members lost out in the extra.

Isreal
mdtommyd

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Michael - I think it's safe to say, when in doubt, message the creator.
-- Tom
--- Tom
mflagler

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll definitely make sure to message the creators just in case.
ShadowCub

Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello. I'm fairly new to this whole BackerClub thing myself. (Have yet to receive my first BC Bonus from a campaign.)

I was looking over some of the information about BC that is available to prospective Creators considering promoting their project on BC. Apparently, assuming a project is accepted, the Creator has access to a BC Dashboard that shows them exactly which BC Members have backed their projected and at what levels.

However, in my experience, and from what I've read about other's experiences, it seems that Dashboard isn't used much as Creator's tend to be surprised by PM's saying "Hi. I found your project on BC and I'm looking forward to my Tier Reward as well as <bonus>." since it seems that the sender is always the first BC Member that the Creator became aware of.

So, two answers for you....

You SHOULD not need to do anything. Creators have the tools do identify you on their own and reward you accordingly.

You SHOULD reach out to Creators you back as, in reality, they probably won't know otherwise. Not to mention, some bonuses allow you to -select- items and you will need to let them know your choices.