Intro to JuliaZ

Welcome to the Club. Say "Hi!"
JuliaZ

Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:56 am

I'm Julia Ziobro, a way-too-frequent backer located in Bellevue, WA. My first project was TMG's Kings of Air and Steam, which remains one of the most-delayed projects I've ever backed. LOL

My husband and I own over 1000 board games now, mostly Euros. We really should stop. We have game night at our house once a week and attend BGG.Con each year (this year, we're going to join Team Geek). We buy games at the Con as well.

I enjoy being on Kickstarter because of the interaction with the game designers and other players, but feel frustrated by the rise of third-party survey things. I hate BackerKit so much that I won't back projects that use them anymore... it's way too easy for project creators to require you to pay more money to get your reward using that system. I have also gotten incorrect rewards after using BackerKit. Maybe it's great for project creators, but it is terrible for backers. I am also not wild about the Game Salute-cart style thing. If I wanted to make a pre-order, I would do so.

I am a huge fan of Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, London, Stone Age, and anything Feld. I loves me some Point Salad! I am an "intuitive disruptor"-style player and rarely suffer AP. I like games that have some luck elements; pure strategy is too boring for me. The only game that's ever made me literally flip the table is Risk. I was about 12. John and I have returned exactly one board game that I can think of: Rex.

John has a 20-year old daughter, I have a 14-year old daughter, and we have a 6-year old son together. Our son shows real promise of becoming a board gamer and is just now really getting more complex rules... he can read now, so the gaming world is opening up to him, but he still cheats. We're working on him!
JuliaZ
tedder

Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 am

Wow Julia, you've backed more projects than I have. That's rare! (I'm at about 160, you are over 280).

I assume you discovered backerclub through Brad (BAM Tactical, tipen)? That's where I came from.

Backerkit is..okay. I like it better than the terrible Kickstarter surveys. See also: Brad's survey today.

Admittedly, I had a terrible backerkit experience with an indiegogo project.

Are you familiar with Matthew Baldwin? Seattleite who is deep into board games and many other things.
cerberez

Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:37 am

I'm a bgg.com nut too... Let's see how backerclub turns out!
cellinnovations

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:10 am

Regarding indiegogo, I've heard about plenty of people having issues. The vetting process is minimal and creators have the option to accept less than what they need... which will almost always be a recipe for disaster.
tedder

Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:24 pm

Totally agree on indiegogo. There's a heirarchy of funding, crowdsupply and indiegogo are somewhere in the middle, gofundme is at the bottom :D
numbat1

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Hello JuliaZ - we must be gamer neighbours here in Bellevue. We don't have anywhere near the number you do though. My almost 15 year old son used to be an avid board gamer and while he still plays he is much more in to digital games now.

Thankfully I have so far experienced few problems with Backerkit and it is much more flexible than the standard Kickstarter survey. I will consider your input though and proceed with caution.