Is Indiegogo killing my campaign?

Anything related to Indiegogo
peeq

Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:45 pm

I just launched on Indiegogo a week ago after a last minute switch from Kickstarter. I switched primarily because my core market is education and I wanted to be able to include a perk to help me give back. So for every 15 of my $10 pledges I am giving one of our systems to a low-income school. And the folks at Indiegogo convinced us to switch to flexible funding because it simplifies the payment process to just inputing a credit card or using apple pay instead of having to use paypal. We've reached nearly 50% of our goal but had really expected it to take off even more, I posted it on backerClub and even did their dedicated email, but with very little response. I've met other campaigns who've used backerclub with amazing results. Is it my project itself? Is it because it is on Indiegogo? Any help would be appreciated.
TashaTurner

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:35 pm

peeq wrote:I just launched on Indiegogo a week ago after a last minute switch from Kickstarter. I switched primarily because my core market is education and I wanted to be able to include a perk to help me give back. So for every 15 of my $10 pledges I am giving one of our systems to a low-income school. And the folks at Indiegogo convinced us to switch to flexible funding because it simplifies the payment process to just inputing a credit card or using apple pay instead of having to use paypal. We've reached nearly 50% of our goal but had really expected it to take off even more, I posted it on backerClub and even did their dedicated email, but with very little response. I've met other campaigns who've used backerclub with amazing results. Is it my project itself? Is it because it is on Indiegogo? Any help would be appreciated.
Back when I was active on BackerClub forum most of us were Kickstarter mostly/only backers. When the founders made the decision to open up to Indiegogo the members on the forum expressed lack of interest and a number of reasons why they don't use Indiegogo. But out of ~3000 members less than 30 are active on the forum so I can't answer your question about the wider group.

In general flexible funding projects have a harder time because you get the money at the time of donation without a guarantee of getting enough funding to follow through on the project. This is one reason why a number of people prefer Kickstarter- money isn't collected until you've got enough to produce the product/goal is reached.

Kickstarter will allow you to give product to charitable causes/educational organizations and many of those projects do quite well. You can't donate money. A number of projects even have a get one/donate one level as well as "donate one" level. After the Indiegogo campaign ends you might want to rerun the campaign on Kickstarter but make sure you explain to your Indiegogo backers why you are doing this.

Good luck with your Indiegogo campaign.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature