Board games on Kickstarter

Anything related to Kickstarter
Mepper

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:35 pm

There have been hundreds of board games on Kickstarter over the last 4 years. Unfortunately the vast majority have been mediocre at best. But mixed in with the crowd have been a number of games that are absolutely fantastic. Even better, some of these games come all bling'ed out for a price that is not matched even by the discount online stores. Games like Among the Stars, Alien Frontiers, Euphoria, City of Iron, and Ogre come to mind. I'm creating this thread to start to list the current board game projects we think are going to fall in that excellent category.
Mepper

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:46 pm

To start things out, I'd like to point people to a little game called The King's Abbey. It's an easy-to-moderate difficulty Euro-style worker placement game. The project creator has thrown in all sorts of component upgrades so you are getting a $60 game for just $40. If you watch Rahdo's runthru/review you can get an idea of how good this game is turning out to be. The designer has been actively accepting feedback and improving the game during it's campaign and it is starting to look quite polished. Even the instruction manual is looking great. Take a look.

numbat1

Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:17 pm

Looks good.

I can see that this thread will be very dangerous for me.
Mepper

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 am

Here's another: Tiny Epic Galaxies. You have to hurry though, there's only 2 days left. The base game is only $16 and the deluxe version is $24, so it's not going to break the bank. It's from Gamelyn Games, who have already had big Kickstarter successes with Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Defenders (both of which I missed).

Mepper

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:05 am

Here's another space-themed game: Last Starfleet. It's a fully cooperative game for 2-4 people (2-6 with expansions) and it is already funded with 2 weeks left. The base game is $26 + shipping, but most people are opting for the deluxe version at $50. I think the deluxe version is a bit pricey, but it might still be worth it based on the extra re-playability from the extra ships and planets. I don't think this game will ever be a classic, but it looks like a solid, fairly light game.

Toren

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:33 am

Backers of Tiny Epic Galaxies will the opportunity to add both previously kickstarted games through backerkit (or pledgemanager I can't remember which they are using) after the campaign ends.
Mepper wrote:Here's another: Tiny Epic Galaxies. You have to hurry though, there's only 2 days left. The base game is only $16 and the deluxe version is $24, so it's not going to break the bank. It's from Gamelyn Games, who have already had big Kickstarter successes with Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Defenders (both of which I missed).
Check out the services I offer to help with your Kickstarter Campaign on BackerHack - http://backerhack.com/backer.php?id=293
The Roll Call Podcast: The Podcast of Crowd Funded Tabletop Games - http://rollcall.podbean.com/
AKAAdamReynolds

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:49 pm

For those that haven't seen t already (there can't be many considering it is the most backed/funded campaign in kickstarter history; Exploding Kittens (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/el ... ng-kittens) looks amazing. Created by the artist Elan Lee (of theoatmeal.com) this is a game similar to Cards Against Humanity in the sense that it is a party game for adults with a twisted sense of humor.
Worth looking at because of how impressive the response has been, and the way the creators are approaching the stretch goals. Instead of just going by funding and total number of backers, they have also promised unlocked stretch goals with achievements, mostly centered around social media.
Eric Arsenault

Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Currently backing many boardgames, Hoyuk: Anatolia is ending soon, feel free to check it out:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ma ... k-anatolia
Shinlocke

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Ghostbusters: The Board Game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cz ... board-game

Game Components
• 47 Custom 32-50mm Plastic Mini Figures
• 10 Double-Sided 5.5" x 5.5" Game Board Tiles
• 6 Dice (5 D6 & 1 D8)
• 43 Tokens (Streams, Slimes, Gates, XP Trackers)
• 1 PKE Meter
• 4 Player Cards (4"H x 6"W)
• 6 Ghost Cards (4"H x 3"W)
• 1 Ghostbusters Operations & Field Manual
Mepper

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Here's another game: Aether Magic by Happy Mitten Games. Aether Magic is a fantasy-themed auction and set collection game. It's for 3-6 players and plays in 45 minutes.

Here's the Kickstarter link.