Decibite - Web Hosting for the 21st Century

Anything related to Kickstarter
jdquey

Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Many things in our world has greatly improved in the last two decades. Yet web-hosting has failed to keep up with these changes.

We realized that because web-hosting companies own the resources, they call the shots. This leaves bloggers, internet entrepreneurs, and small businesses prone to the whims of their web-host.

We at Decibite are going to change this and be harder, better, faster, stronger. How will we do this?

1. Work harder with direct technical support
2. Make it better with an asset customized to your liking.
3. Do it faster with full accountability and transparency.
4. Make it stronger with security and privacy tactics as adviced by Edward Snowden.

You can learn more about us on our Kickstarter preview page. Would love your feedback too!

Spread our message to your friends and win a free VPS server at www.Decibite.com
Last edited by jdquey on Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdquey

Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Also, we are working on two different videos:

Video 1

Video 2

Which do you like better and what about it resonates more with you?

Thanks!
numbat1

Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:59 pm

I like the tone of video two better than one. I don't remember though if it included the piece about reaching real tech support which I think is important. You do however mention that separately in your campaign wording which is likely sufficient.

Kickstarter page is looking better too. I like the $5 reward option. Great way to bring in people who are interested for the future or want to follow without a big commitment. Wording now helps those without technical skills to understand the product.

Credits - how do they convert to payment? What is the conversion rate?

Maintenance and subscription are both terms used in your rewards as being included in some, what are these fees and when do they apply?

The more transparent the system the easier it is for potential backers to trust and commit.

So here are some questions from a non-tech backer perspective:
I have a couple of friends with small businesses that have websites. I am planning my own website or two in the near future. It sounds like I can buy in at the right tier then "rent out" some of my space to my friends. Is this correct? What tier would I need? How do I go about renting out to them? How much am I allowed to charge? How much does it cost for them to transfer their current site? Can I offer my free transfer to one of them? What about my son hosting a gaming site for him and his friends, can I add that too? Will each site be secure from each other, it sounds like it will be from what you say but I want to make sure.

I hope the above scenario helps you understand a little some of your potential backers and where they may be coming from. Please make it clear how much technical support will be available to them and at what cost. I imagine some is free and some will be optional and a pay as you use (or is that part of the subscription) service.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your development team.

Katrina
jdquey

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks for the feedback Katrina!
numbat1 wrote:I like the tone of video two better than one. I don't remember though if it included the piece about reaching real tech support which I think is important. You do however mention that separately in your campaign wording which is likely sufficient.
We ended up going with first half of video 1 and second half of video 2 and includes the part about reaching real tech support. Should be getting that soon.
numbat1 wrote:Credits - how do they convert to payment? What is the conversion rate?
Good point, I've included the conversion part in the text.
numbat1 wrote:Maintenance and subscription are both terms used in your rewards as being included in some, what are these fees and when do they apply?
We have a designer creating a graphic for us, but re-posted our prices. Is it clear with just the text?
numbat1 wrote:So here are some questions from a non-tech backer perspective:
I have a couple of friends with small businesses that have websites. I am planning my own website or two in the near future.
1. It sounds like I can buy in at the right tier then "rent out" some of my space to my friends. Is this correct?
2. What tier would I need?
3. How do I go about renting out to them?
4. How much am I allowed to charge?
5. How much does it cost for them to transfer their current site?
6. Can I offer my free transfer to one of them?
7. What about my son hosting a gaming site for him and his friends, can I add that too?
8. Will each site be secure from each other, it sounds like it will be from what you say but I want to make sure.
1. That is correct! You can also set limits on sub-accounts too.
2. All tiers can use reselling. If your resource usage becomes large enough you may need to upgrade to VPS.
3. We'll have a way for people to opt-in for the program and upon approval, will be setup with an account.
4. Feel free to charge as you like. We hope our clients will use our platform to add value to their existing services.
5 and 6. For now, we'll be offering free transfers for all who join. If they want us to get working on it immediately, they can pay a $95 premium.
7. Not a problem! Disk and bandwidth are shared between sites on the account, and you are free to create sites as you like. Shouldn't be a problem if it is a game site, however you may find you will need a minimum of a VPS if they are wanting a game server.
8. The main account has the ability to create various sub-accounts that run as different independent users. Each sub-user is secure from each other, but the main account makes any decisions that affect each sub-user.
numbat1 wrote:I hope the above scenario helps you understand a little some of your potential backers and where they may be coming from. Please make it clear how much technical support will be available to them and at what cost. I imagine some is free and some will be optional and a pay as you use (or is that part of the subscription) service.

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your development team.

Katrina
The tech support will be available free with the monthly maintenance fee. If people want us to help actually create/develop the site, we'll have a pro-rated charge for that.

Thank you for your help in creating this for you! We love to find out how we can help you.