Warning signs of KS campaigns

Anything related to Kickstarter
IsrealNahsohn

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:39 am

Hi all. I am hoping that everyone can share warning signs that they have figured out. I've only been on KS since Nov 2014. I am a baby here.

So far, one warning sign I see is lack of communication. If creators don't communicate during their KS Campaign, there is no way they will communicate once funding is complete.
TashaTurner

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:53 am

1. If the amount of money looks too low for what they want to do - do they have realistic stretch goals to be able to truly fund project?

2. Ship date too close to end of Kickstarter- project may succeed but will likely delay - very few projects in my experience with ship dates less than 3 months after funding date ship on time (there are exceptions so look at project and consider if it's a realistic deadline - do they need approvals/certification? - is it something already easily made/cards? - is it new technology? - are they taking into account holidays both in their country & where manufacturing is being done? -

3. Self-publishing Book - if it's not written yet - 1st draft should be complete unless they've succeeded in the past

4. If stretch goals are costly/new technology when they barely have a prototype/too many new things - may lead to delays or project may run out of money

5. Project wildly over-funds and #4

6. Previous projects - always read comments on previous projects to see how happy backers are - did they ship on time? How did they handle delays? Did they communicate regularly? Are backers happy with the product they recieved?
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
MechanisticMoth

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:56 pm

TashaTurner wrote:4. If stretch goals are costly/new technology when they barely have a prototype/too many new things - may lead to delays or project may run out of money
5. Project wildly over-funds and #4
Totally agree about this one. If they're not completely prepared and get wildly over-funded, then things get hairy. Some people expect to just barely hit their goals, but then they hit the backer chain and everyone starts backing it. In their surprise, they keep on adding stretch goals that seem completely unfeasible.

One thing I would add, which is relevant to the https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/29 ... ean-trippe Kickstarter, is when the Kickstarter is something highly sensitive (in this case child sex abuse). I know with Dean, hearing other people's stories about sex abuse was overwhelming and postponed the rewards distribution. Nevertheless, I've been happy with how open he's been about these experiences, and he still has my confidence to fulfill his orders.
TashaTurner

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:03 pm

The biggest problem with delays can be a particular backer with a grudge/attitude or all the first time backers - especially if you combine it with a creator who goes "dark'/doesn't update frequently with usefull details. I hate backing a project where the comments post-funding are full of negativity. I want a fun experience and something I won't feel bad that I pointed friends/family to.

I don't back campaigns if I see certain backers in the comments now because they make the experience miserable.

I think I only have a handful of creators on a blacklist. Most I don't expect to see running another campaign... At least not under the same name. LOL
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
mdtommyd

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:25 pm

An additional slant - this article comes from 3d printing but could apply, with reasonable modifications, to most sorts of technology project:
Low-cost 3D Printers and Crowdfunding Suicide

One of the things that surprised me but started to make sense was that too many stretch goals can be the kiss of death. The other thing that's sort of annoying - at least because I'm not very skilled at it - is figuring out the profile of the creator. A big tech company doing a KS as a marketing tactic is different than a mom & pop shop trying to do the same thing.

There's a wide range of variables to be sure, so it may ultimately boil down to your 'belief' in a project anyway, but when I started applying this POV to some of my problematic projects, things started making more sense.

As far as other warning signs, one of the things I also do is use a trending site like Kicktraq to see how a project's doing at the end of week 2. Week 1 is the honeymoon period. Look at how they're doing from week 2 and beyond. If they're flatlining and far from their actual goal, they're in trouble. Catch these early enough and these are the type of projects the BC seems to be able to help.

I think lateness sort of comes with the territory of most KS projects, so I'm willing to put up with it. Of course, never delivered is another matter entirely. Totally agree with checking out previous projects.

--- Tom
--- Tom