Some adventure game campaigns in Nov 2014.

Anything related to Kickstarter
Lobster

Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:17 am

Adventure games helped make Kickstarter as popular as it is now. Here are some running campaigns this month.

HM Spiffing is a space adventure in its final week with £7,000 to go to reach its £30,000 goal. The character models and animations are good on this one. There is a very British demo.

Kelvin and the Infamous Machine is a point and click adventure game involving a time machine that looks like a shower. It too has a demo.

Vincent the Vampire has a weird world for an officeworker to explore. I liked the comedy in the pitch.

It was good to see that Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy was successfully funded. I wasn't sure it was going to make it.
http://i.imgur.com/O3JRoGV.png
Live4TheOne

Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:18 pm

Backed HM Spiffing. Thanks :D
Lobster

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 am

To Azimuth is an adventure game about characters searching for missing loved one in a 1970s setting. I like the colour choices. They have a prototype video, but it would be nice if the prototype was currently available to downloaded to try. At the 5 minute mark in that video there is an interesting room transition where the doors and walls artisticly fall away after the character steps through.
Lobster

Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:36 am

Here is a big adventure game project. Thimbleweed Park is a new adventure game from former LucasArts developers Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick. It is already over 28% funded for its $375,000 goal.

It is getting very late in the year to run a campaign like that, but there is a lot of nostalgia driving the campaign's word of mouth.

The $50 tier can get a backer's name into the in-game phone book. 12% of backers have been selecting it which is really good. The pitch does provide a good sense of what the game's tone and art style will look like. The end of the pitch gets a bit bizarre. I would have preferred a different thumbnail than just a screenshot of that population sign in the video. They are asking for a lot and I don't have a full sense of how massive the scope of its content will be. There are hints such as mentioning multiple endings. Estimated delivery is June 2016.
Lobster

Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 am

HM Spiffing made its goal.
http://i.imgur.com/6FYdIuV.png

Johnny Rocketfingers 3 is a violent hand-drawn adventure game. The goal is $88,000 which is still relatively large even though it is only about a quarter of what Thimbleweed Park is asking for its goal. This is one of the first video game projects I've seen that will be running into January 2015 besides CLANNAD.

Viktor is another hand-drawn adventure game. I noticed the $500 tier is titled "Hypnotic Lobster". It has a demo.

Thimbleweed Park is now getting close to 90% funded. It has 261 backers at its $150 tier for a boxed copy (Contributing a minimum of $39,150 to covering the funding distance). I get worried about the fulfilment on physical copies for Kickstarter games, but boxed copies are often very good performing rewards for nostalgia-based video game projects.

I've wondered about if many backers would be satisfied with a medium priced ($40-$60) reward tier that introduced just the cardboard box. It wouldn't include a disc (That could be offered at a higher priced tier). Inside a rigid envelope would be the game box in a flat state. Backers would fold/assemble the tabs for the box when it arrived. They would then have something to put on a shelf with the rest of their physical collection of retro games.

Volgarr was cool for salvaging old Sega Genesis/Megadrive cartridges and putting their Volgarr the Viking art on them.
Lobster

Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:21 am

To Azimuth missed its goal by just $5,647 and a reboot in 2015 should get funded. The $10 tier introduces a copy of the game and has 105 backers. Here is something interesting: the $15 tier has 361 backers (256 more). That up-selling there impressed me at first, but then the thought occured that the $15 tier was so popular because following tiers (After the $25 tier) being too weak. Backers were getting stuck in the $15 and $25 tiers when they might have gone higher. There is a noticeable lack of medium (Above $30) and large (Above $100) sized pledges on this project. If the higher priced rewards had been designed better it make have succeeded on the first funding attempt.
http://i.imgur.com/8F5mCON.png

Vincent The Vampire lost too much momentum after November 24th. It stalled out.
http://i.imgur.com/38SyGPx.png

Thimbleweed Park's did very well at $626,250 pledged and its graphs are interesting because of how smooth they are. There is the very recognizable S-shape from the Kickstarter trough effect. The $50 tier and one of the three $150 tiers became great performing tiers. The $100 tier actually underperformed from what I would normal see. I assume it is because so many were drawn to what the three $150 tiers offered. Retro gamers love boxed copies. It did not break the $1 million point.
http://i.imgur.com/WCS6eMF.png