A uniquely magical experience for kids with low traffic

Anything related to Kickstarter
PopUp Play

Wed May 27, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Backer Club,
Our project, PopUp Play, has been on Kickstarter for just over a week and the number of backers after day 1 has not been where we expected it. The majority of our backers are people who have seen the PopUp Play playscape in person at SXSW or the Austin Maker Faire.
I am concerned that something is not translating well in our page. As seasoned backers - we would love to know what you think of our page. Is the explanation clear? What do you think of the video? Are the rewards clear?
Your honest and direct feedback would be really appreciated.

Here is the link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/po ... rom-scree

Thank you,
Bryan
IsrealNahsohn

Wed May 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi,

I don't have children but think pop up play is cool. What throws me off personally is the word reserve your in many of the pledges. It makes me think I am going to have to pay more later. Also, a backer only update so early in the campaign doesn't feel right to me personally. You may have had reasons that I do not know, but those are my quick thoughts.

Good luck,

Isreal

Forgot to add, with 77 backers, there should be more comments which = dialogue and buzz
PopUp Play

Wed May 27, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi Isreal,
Thank you for the kind words and thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback. This is helpful.

1. On the topic of "reserving." Each playscape is designed by you, so we didn't want people to think that they were buying a pre-designed playscape that we would just send you. Instead, you are pre-paying or pre-ordering (and maybe we should have used that word instead) your custom playscape.
2. Can you please elaborate on why a backer only update early in the campaign creates concern?

Thanks again.
Bryan
TashaTurner

Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm

PopUp Play wrote:Hi Isreal,
Thank you for the kind words and thank you for taking the time to provide constructive feedback. This is helpful.

1. On the topic of "reserving." Each playscape is designed by you, so we didn't want people to think that they were buying a pre-designed playscape that we would just send you. Instead, you are pre-paying or pre-ordering (and maybe we should have used that word instead) your custom playscape.
2. Can you please elaborate on why a backer only update early in the campaign creates concern?

Thanks again.
Bryan

Generally the only reason to lock updates to backers only is if the information shouldn't be shared with non-backers. I can't think of much during pre-funding that falls into that category. What don't you want me as a potential backer to know?

Post-funding I expect some, but not all, updates to be locked as they might include special things for backers to download/information on where to go to download early (or final) versions of games/books/music.

I've backed a music project where some updates were locked during the project but we literally were part of the creative process and the musician was sharing music based on our input with us during the campaign and it was clear from comments and updates around the locked updates what was going on.

I'm not sure if my reasons match Israel's but figured I'd give a backer perspective.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
mdtommyd

Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 pm

The rewards are pretty clear.

If you have video from the Austin Maker Faire, consider adding it.

Only having the castle is a drawback. You're promoting the world of imagination, as long as you like castles. I'm a spaceship or race car person myself. I appreciate that these things take time, but as a one trick pony, you're probably turning off interested people who are waiting/hoping for additional designs they'd prefer more. Announce and share your next steps and timetable for a submarine, spaceship, farm, etc. I would make new designs a stretch goal. Consider adding an 'IOU' reward like a shield/sticker pack for now and use your reservation on the spaceship (or whatever new ones you plan) when they become available.

The IOS / Android split is roughly 50-50. Do you at least offer a website where Androiders could build the playhouse until the Android app comes online? It comes off as Apple only, alienating roughly half your potential customer base. Make it easy for all to build their dream (play)house.
--- Tom
IsrealNahsohn

Wed May 27, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for explanation. For #2, I couldn't imagine what needed to be kept from potential future backers. It is rare to see them. So something out of the ordinary may be a sign of a lack of understanding of crowd funding by the creators (I am not saying you don't know what you're doing).

My biggest reason for crowd funding is that we backers get to be part of the creative process and growth of the product. Transparency is key for me.

Isreal
PopUp Play

Wed May 27, 2015 8:05 pm

All,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. This is great!
1. To IsrealNahsohn
with 77 backers, there should be more comments which = dialogue and buzz
I interpreted few comments as a sign that there were fewer questions that needed answers. Based on my limited experience, I usually see back-and-forth discussions or clarifications in the comments. Based on your experience, what do you see?

2. To TashaTurner and IsrealNahsohn about the private update.
I've backed a music project where some updates were locked during the project but we literally were part of the creative process and the musician was sharing music based on our input with us during the campaign and it was clear from comments and updates around the locked updates what was going on.
That is what was in our locked update. I was collecting feedback from our backers regarding our rewards structure. I only wanted to get Google Form responses from our backers. I didn't anticipate that it would look like we had something we wanted to hide. I have put in a request to Kickstarter to make the update public. We'll see if they honor it...

3. To mdtommyd
If you have video from the Austin Maker Faire, consider adding it.
We have pictures and are working on getting them on the site.
Only having the castle is a drawback. You're promoting the world of imagination, as long as you like castles. I'm a spaceship or race car person myself. I appreciate that these things take time, but as a one trick pony, you're probably turning off interested people who are waiting/hoping for additional designs they'd prefer more. Announce and share your next steps and timetable for a submarine, spaceship, farm, etc. I would make new designs a stretch goal.
Thank you for saying this! We have actually made significant progress on a spaceship framework and were holding it back as a later surprise. We'll expedite and get it up there ASAP.
Consider adding an 'IOU' reward like a shield/sticker pack for now and use your reservation on the spaceship (or whatever new ones you plan) when they become available.
This is extremely helpful. Our intention with the playscape reservation reward is that you can use the reward any time in the future. So if you want to use it as an early bird on a castle, you can, or you can wait and use it on future playscape reservations. We'll put our heads together over here and figure out how to explain this on the page.
Do you at least offer a website where Androiders could build the playhouse until the Android app comes online?
I'll look into what we can do.

Thanks everyone!
Bryan
IsrealNahsohn

Wed May 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Btw, theses discussions are a great part of crowd Funding! Once again, good luck! I do like the project
PopUp Play

Thu May 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks Israel. Quick update: our previously backers only update, is now available to be viewed by potential backers.

If you like the project, it would be great if you could share it with your friends and family that have kids.

Thanks everyone,
Bryan
IsrealNahsohn

Thu May 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Shared, good luck