Copycat projects?

Anything related to Kickstarter
ktrieu

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Maybe I'm only noticing now because I've actually backed a few projects, but I seem to be seeing many projects creating products that are very similar to other live, completed, or fulfilled projects.

For example, one that caught my attention was GlowBowl, which is similar in every aspect aside from the sensor's appearance to Illumnibowl. GlowBowl's creator mentioned in the BC comments that they hold patents on their product, but does that really matter if Illumnibowl is already getting close to the fulfilment stage already by now?

Another one is Keappor, which is very similar to Orbitkey, which was fulfilled over a year ago. Though I'll grant that Keappor has the extra locking feature that Orbitkey doesn't have.

Finally, I recall Forge Solid had a copycat project while it was live, created by someone who felt that their prices were slightly too high. And then someone else made basically the same product in spherical form using more different metals.

Any others anyone has noticed?
TashaTurner

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:57 pm

I'm not sure there is anything unusual in this. Someone sees a project do well and they come up with something similar & explain why it's better or they can do it cheaper or tweak it a little so it's just a little bit different.

Around the time I joined BackerClub I believe there were 3-5 big funding projects for lighting cables made with fiber/metallic thread cords and better connectors. I backed all 3. One deliver crap late because they didn't schedule well. One delivered quality late due to Apple requiring multiple changes. One delivered quality on time. Why did I back 3? Because I figured 1 might not deliver at all. One was going to deliver but was very different from the others. I debated backing one other but thought that was overkill. It was hard to pick which to back based on data available at the time.

There were also a number of "tagging" systems being funded using wifi, Bluetooth, cellular to track everything from your keys to your kids to your pets to your laptop. Then there were special just for pets and just for luggage.

When it comes to creative / artsy stuff it's even more so.

It can be tough to decide which project to back - 1, all, none & wait for it to hit stores, some but which ones? How much?

Lots of newbies can get caught up in Kickstarter not realizing better stuff is already for sale on Amazon.

Kickstarter is not only the home to invention. It's the home to imitation and to "the next level" as well as total scams.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
numbat1

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:13 pm

I think sometimes it is imitation and sometimes an idea has reached its time. I have been caught several times with wishing I had just known to wait for a later project.

Gizmos for connecting, powering, transferring data, protecting, related to the abundance of smart phones and tablets are huge in number. Newer, smarter travel cases are now proliferating. Games with similar themes and styles are also abundant.

Too a certain extent this type of thing has always happened, people coming up with the same idea, seeing the same need and trying to meet it, and even the copying of someone else's work and promoting it as your own with minimal change. The success of crowd funding platforms allows this to become even more apparent.

Hey Tasha - I am curious which of the two quality cables do you recommend?
TashaTurner

Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:56 pm

The short bendy cables you can get on Amazon & they rock. My husband uses 2 (different computers) for charging his iPod touch 5. They are really short - a few inches which is perfect for us as it means no cables to trip over when charging/syncing iPod with computer. No need to detach cables when moving computer either unless the case is really tight fit.

Do not get a BelayCord as they are having major quality problems. I've had problems with both of the 30-pin cables I recieved, while the connectors feel nice (like they won't break/crack where the original Apple ones do) the supposed "anodized" thread cable is frazzled/fuzzy after a month in use. one of the 2 cables stopped charging in under 1 week. The 2nd works sometimes. My husband has refused to spend time fussing with the Lightning cables as he is so happy with the really short bendy cables. I need to contact support at BelayCords but from comments I can see many people are having similar problems.

From what I can tell the QuickDraw cables are good but as they are lightning only we've only tested our cable for charging husbands iPod a couple of times. According to comment threads other than some confusion on the "charging light" people are pretty happy with these. I can also say the cable feels really nice/like it will last a long time and the connectors look/feel top quality. They can only be ordered from company website in the UK. Unfortunately they didn't make a 30-pin and I'm still on an iPhone 4S and iPad 2.
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
numbat1

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Thank you Tasha, I will look at the Bendy cables on Amazon.
ktrieu

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:13 pm

It seems I should check back here more often. Thanks for the replies.

I was more referring to projects that are aiming to deliver something pretty much identical to a different project. I can understand tweaks and modifications to create something better, like the second example I provided. But for the first and third, the only difference I could think of was in the presentation and marketing (the copycats tend to be pretty bad at it) - the product was exactly the same.

You're right, and I agree, that there are lots of tracking devices as well as data accessories and whatnot, not to mention that pretty much everything on Kickstarter these days has a backup battery for charging your phone with, but despite performing similar functions, at least the products actually look different or perform different functions as well. I have yet to see any of these be almost exactly the same as any other, though I remember I have called one of them out for being significantly larger than another tracker I have backed.
Zigmo

Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm facing the opposite side of this. I'm about to launch a project that I've been working on for the past 1.5 years. I found someone launch the same invention with nearly an identical name. I'm both trademarked and patent pending. I hate the fact that it will appear that I'm coping him when I launch in the coming months.
numbat1

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:44 pm

I feel for you Zigmo. That has to be a real challenge to face. I suggest you be well prepared to answer questions about the two campaigns/products while maintaining grace and courtesy and avoid being negative about the other. Hopefully you can highlight the differences and why it is worth backing your project.

Maybe even talk with the other creator before hand to let them know the situation?
deathsembrace

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:59 pm

I have seen creators post projects that they clearly didn't invent themselves, things they planned to bulk buy from places like Alibaba when their "campaigns" were over. So squirrely.
TashaTurner

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:09 pm

It's important to do basic research before backing a project. See if similar project is for sale on Amazon. Google and see if products exist.

Also check a creators previous projects. Are backers happy? Has the product been delivered? Was it what was promised? Are many complaints about defects? How are they handling problems? I see too many repeat creators where earlier projects are full of angry backers and updates were sparse or constantly promised things they didn't deliver.