What's a good bounce rate?

Anything related to Kickstarter
dantheman

Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

We've launched our kickstarter, and we know the product is good because we've taken it to tradeshows and had a fantastic reaction from trade and press. Plus we're industry professionals for many years and we know a lot about product and we know a lot of people that would be quick to tell us if the product is not on the money. We've sold our product to some really influential retailers that are really difficult to get into and some great promise.

Our Kickstarter has been pretty disappointing so far, and we're putting a lot of that down to not enough traffic, however we can't get any info on what is a good bounce rate. Can anyone help?

Can anyone look at the site and review for us?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... al-generat

Many thanks
Dan
Toren

Tue May 24, 2016 9:04 pm

It really does depend on a lot of factors.
  • category
  • pledge cost
  • fullfillment date
  • shipping cost
  • country of origin
  • impression of creator
  • first time creator or not
A first time creator, without an established community, commonly sees bounce rates of 95% and up. If you are higher than 75% you need to look at your project and identify the problems. It becomes even more severe if your page views are low and your bounce is high, that shows a lack of knowledge of the project as well.
Check out the services I offer to help with your Kickstarter Campaign on BackerHack - http://backerhack.com/backer.php?id=293
The Roll Call Podcast: The Podcast of Crowd Funded Tabletop Games - http://rollcall.podbean.com/
mdtommyd

Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Mine is more of the man in the street perspective, since I'm not a creator, just a backer.

I would defer to Toren on the technical details on the bounce rate question, but I would also make 2 other observations:
- that since you seem to be going for the urban / artistic / stylish vibe, your bounce rate is likely to be higher - people will either instinctively 'like' the style or not, and the 'no thank yous' will be moving on immediately
- competitors: if you launch with a lot of competitors with similar KS projects active, you'll get more bounces. May be a feature in another project that someone really likes that if you don't have, you will be eliminated immediately. KS search for the word backpack showed about 6 active backpack projects.

TL;DR - you were making me work very hard while looking over your KS page. Most other successful KS projects that I like get their points over with much less effort on my part. We BC members are used to poring over KS projects - can imagine that casual KS users might have lost patience quicker than you would have liked.

As far as your page itself:
-3 different products (backpack, 2 different EDC pouches). Multiple products tend to add to clutter and confusion on a KS page, inviting people to bounce sooner.
-6 different videos and 8 GIFs (if I counted right) - Again, reinforcing the clutter and confusion idea. With so much stuff going on in the KS page, felt like I had to study rather than get an assist from your supporting materials. I can see people sort of laboring through reading, seeing the next video on the page and going 'see ya'. I usually like a good support video or GIF, just seemed like too much here.
-style vs substance: seems like you were trying to highlight both. Makes the page very long, attention wanders, people bounce. Committing to one hard might be a better way to go.
-features: In line with the competitor argument. If a lot of people in the arena, make sure you're on a somewhat equal footing. You are stylish, look durable, and probably secure, but based my quick glom of comparable projects, the others were making me feel better about security than you were
--- Tom
dantheman

Thu May 26, 2016 11:33 am

Hi @Toren and @mdtommyd

Thanks so much for your responses!! It means a lot to us, and yes you're right Tommy, we have focused on too many bags - thinking of focusing on just one bag to avoid confusion! Much appreciated for your in depth response.

Many thanks,
Dan