Pledge amounts

Anything related to Kickstarter
Dareshiranu

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Just pledged my first Backerclub sponsored project. My question is perhaps a little complex.

If there are Early Bird and other slots and say you get a discount off of your pledge, just what pledge amount are you supposed to base your pledge off of? In this case the project offered a 20% discount, you pledged the $5 amount and put in the discounted amount.

As a followup, even though I clicked on the link through Backerclub, I can't put in my pledge amount on my profile and I'm informed that I've not pledged on any Backerclub projects. I was sort of hoping that it would work more smoothly than this. Did I do something wrong? Does it need time to propagate in the system?
Dareshiranu

Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:14 pm

My questions more or less just answered themselves. The creator contacted me. He said that I could pledge at the base level (as the Early Bird levels were full.) The thing is there is nothing to indicate how I am to know this is the case. In any event when I originally logged into KS there was still one 2nd Early Bird left at $125 and the discounted normal price would have put my pledge at a little over $116, what a savings.

So I am left to conclude that these "bargains" are really nothing of the sort as I wasn't informed of the project in time to get in on the Early Bird (Unless somehow I'm expected to live on BackerClub and constantly refresh the offerings.).

The followup was also answered as I had to log out and back in, in order to access the forums. When I did so BackerClub wouldn't let me proceed until I had responded with a pledge amount.

I had in this case decided to cancel my pledge due to the miscommunication of the process. I don't bear any animosity towards the creator, I just don't care enough about the project to spend more than $80 on it no matter how clever it seems. As is I question the utility of BackerClub given the dearth of projects whose nature interests me and the timing (or lack thereof.) of the emails they send.
TashaTurner

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:07 am

Each project handle this differently. Some offer BC members the early bird option when it's full. Others offer a discount usually off the regular pledge but occasionally off an early bird price. I find contacting creators on KS is faster than through BC.

I've not been interested in most of the BC projects in a long while as they don't map up to my interest (diversity, feminism, environment, social justice). I do check in occasionally to see if I could be getting perks on campaigns I'm already backing.

The projects page is a useful way to discover what campaigns you might want to back. It's not a matter of living on BC. A once a day check will keep you up-to-date combined with emails. Emails are for brand new projects which joined BC but they may have been active on Kickstarter for days or weeks.

One project is a harsh way to judge BC which has tens to 100s of active projects at any time.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
hermeto

Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Projects that use Backerclub say so on their campaign page. I haven't actually used Backerclub, but I have seen several worthwhile discounts. Then again, I have seen a couple campaign that offered pitiful discounts.
I've found that most creators are more than happy to help you out if you message them through Kickstarter or Indiegogo.

Kind regards,
Brandon