Feedback for Money Opportunity - Hang N Locks Picture Hanger

In depth articles on specific projects, detailed feedback from backers, interviews and "ask me anything" sessions with creators, and product reviews.
StevenBackerClub

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Hey there BackerClub members,

We're back again with another opportunity for you to earn money by helping our Creator with some feedback on their campaign!
  • The top 5 feedback providers will walk away with $15 cash!
  • Campaign: Hang N Locks - The World's Smartest Picture Hanger
  • Campaign URL (in preview stage): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ha ... n=54273c63
  • Date of winner selection: April 19th
  • Please add your feedback here on our Forums

Here's a link to a prior "picture hanger" campaign that you can use as a comparison: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... re-hangers

The BackerClub Team loved seeing the feedback from members for the United by Blue Chukka and ALMI Apparel Sock campaigns. It's great to see the support. I know this Creator will value your perspectives as well!

Good luck :)
Steven F.
Team BackerClub
NancieK

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:53 am

1. Is there something that prevents the wire from sliding around in its part of the hanger?

2. What's the weight limit?

Apologies if those were both addressed in the video; I don't have audio on this PC.
LaurenceHR

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am

The idea is great! but I think the price is a bit high, maybe reducing the size of parts you can reduce costs and final price ;)
I'm thinking in back it, depends on the Shipping Price (I'm on South America).
Regards, and good luck
jalari

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm

I too am wondering how much weight they can hold. I really like the idea of this but the price really does seem high for a small piece of plastic. Another suggestion, different sizes for different frames. A smaller frame would not need such a large version. Also, I know the campaign is not live yet but the estimated delivery date seem very far out for something so simple to create. I cant imagine it takes 8 months to make the molds and produce them. Not sure of course.
StevenBackerClub

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

jalari wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:15 pm
I too am wondering how much weight they can hold. I really like the idea of this but the price really does seem high for a small piece of plastic. Another suggestion, different sizes for different frames. A smaller frame would not need such a large version. Also, I know the campaign is not live yet but the estimated delivery date seem very far out for something so simple to create. I cant imagine it takes 8 months to make the molds and produce them. Not sure of course.

Brian K (Creator)
Thanks for the feedback Jason! We may consider a stretch goal for a larger device to accommodate larger pictures. As far as delivery timing goes, we believe that we can get it delivered sooner but did not want to over promise. If you believe that timing is critical to a backer then we will take that into consideration. Thanks again for your time and thoughts
Steven F.
Team BackerClub
StevenBackerClub

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Some members left feedback on the KS page instead of here on the forums - I will include that feedback here for reference to the creator.
Tim (Member)
Nice product. I would suggest the following:
1. Add a small bubble leveler to the wall receiver or include one so people can ensure that it is level.
2. This works well for frames that has wires. What about a version for those that doesn't have wires but uses those triangle rings?

Brian K (Creator)
Thanks for the feedback Tim. The wall receiver wouldn't need a leveler though. The beauty of the design is that the wall receiver does not need to be installed perfectly level, nor does the hanger need to be attached perfectly center on the back of the frame. Both parts were designed to allow for enough adjustment of the tilt left or right to accommodate for a non-perfect installation.
Once the wall receiver is on the wall, if it's tilted a little in one direction and not level, the hanger can be adjusted to compensate for this to get the frame level. This product was designed assuming that anyone who hangs it will not get it perfect and would need ample adjustment notches to get the picture itself level, which is ultimately the problem this product solves. Thanks for the feedback and question!
Susan Pompea (Member)
I don’t understand the use of this. If you can adjust the picture after you put it up, how different is that from hammering in a nail or two and hanging and leveling on it. The nail might work better because the piece of plastic on the wall would be harder to get level.
Would this work as a better idea on a drywall ( no stud) and hanging heavy objects? When I hang a mirror or large, heavy painting, or a shelf, I try to use a stud—except there often isn’t a stud where I need to hang it. Even those special drywall screws don’t hold it. I’ve had to replace my towel rod in the bathroom many times until I finally moved it to a stud—not convenient to use to grab a towel out of the shower, but I no longer have a towel rack pulled out and holes where the special drywall screws used to be.

Brian K (Creator)
The teeth on the hanger lock the frame into place on the wall. If the frame gets bumped or vibrations occur, the frame will always stay level since the teeth are locked into place. If you used a traditional picture hook, there is nothing to hold that picture frame wire in place on the wall and it will fall out of level.
Steven F.
Team BackerClub
logocop

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:26 pm

Clever design. I too was wondering about wire slippage in the clip.

Also, while this shouldn't stop your project, it may help manage expectations: larger pictures have a second factor in staying level, namely, how easily the lower part of the frame slides on the wall. If the frame is big/heavy enough, or it has protective bumpers to keep from scuffing the wall, once it's knocked off center friction can prevent it from swinging back to vertical even where it's still balanced. Be sure to test this, and maybe there are low-friction wall protectors out there that you can point to (or even include).
iambarmor3

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Here are some items that would be a great idea to add to your Kickstarter campaign as follows just to clarify some issues that are not clearly defined or stated:

1...The size of your only item?

2...The weight limits of your current design?

3...I assume it works with a cable attached to the picture frame only, but adding a hook to accommodate other types of frames attachment points?

4...As stated in one of your responses addressing heavier picture frames by creating a stretch goal, also include size of new item plus weight limits.
wco

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 pm

As others have stated, you need to be clear on the maximum size/weight the HangNLock can handle. You will get this question a lot.

The campaign page states, "The HangNLocks Hangers can be used on just about any size or shape frame..." yet in one of your responses you indicate that a larger size may be an option for a stretch goal, so it is contradictory.

What is the thickness of the HangNLock? I would be concerned with the gap that it may cause between the back of the picture/art piece and the wall.

The price point seems high. I'm not getting the value proposition for why I should spend $6.50 to $8.50 per hanger when I could get 10 to 30 pieces of high-quality picture hangers for that price. It seems cost prohibitive to purchase these if you are hanging a lot of pictures. You haven't compelled me to purchase these or told me via the campaign why these are worth the money. Convince me why I need this.

I don't generally have an issue with pictures needing to be adjusted, although I'm always adjusting frames when I walk into people's offices and houses. I use the rubber bumpers on the bottom of the frames and the problem of swinging frames is generally solved. On larger frames, I use two picture hangers which eliminates the issue of pictures needing to be adjusted. I still use the bumpers as that helps with the alignment of the frame parallel to the wall and also minimizes the likelihood of the picture going askew.

It's probably the smaller and lighter frames that are likely to move cause headaches as they don't have enough weight and size to hang properly without shifting. I've managed to address this with the bumpers (those need to be the right depth for the frame) but I suppose I can see how the HangNLock might be helpful for those smaller and lightweight pictures. However, the smaller frames generally don't have picture wire attached to the hooks and often have the sawtooth hangers typically in the middle, so this isn't a quick or viable solution. I still think it's more cost effective for me to use two hangers on the smaller frames than purchase this.

As a number of people have asked about the D-ring or triangle-thingy (that's the technical term) hooks, I would suggest that you include some photos or a short video clip explaining how to attach picture wire first and then they can use the product.

I'm always willing to try the latest gadget and will pay more money (within reason) for a better product. I just don't feel that this is a better product or solves a problem (for me) after reading the campaign page and watching the video.

Best of luck.
aatark

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:30 am

My initial feedback is that this project is not right for me. I typically hang with a single nail for small frames and i'll use an anchor for something larger. While there are times my frames are misaligned, especially those on a stairway and all I do is realign it in under 3 seconds. My bigger issue is someone bumps the frame and it falls off the wall. Does this solve that problem?

Kudos to the suggestion above on putting feet on the frame to add a little friction and prevent minor misalignments - I'm going to do that.

Quick feedback:
- how much weight will this hold?
- the initial picture looks cheap. Two off-white plastic pieces sitting by themselves. I would expect these to cost around 50 cents at Menards. Maybe 2 or 3 for a dollar? As others have said, the price needs to come down, especially if someone is hanging a lot of frames.
- - the alternative is a nail which is really really cheap.
- can you change the color from off-white or add some branding brand (e.g. a logo) to the device? something to make it appear worth a premium?
- there is a reward indicating the inventor, but I don't know anything about the inventor. i want to know I'm supporting someone's vision and not just a piece of plastic.
- show me someone that looks like they've never hung a picture and how easy it is for them - a testimonial would help.
- one issue I frequently have is that I drag the frame all over the wall to try to find the nail in the wall - will this make it easier/faster to find the nail?

- if you want to charge a premium, this should be a kit of some kind. bubble level? hammer?
For $30, at my local hardware store, i can buy a full kit to hang over 80 frames. I don't understand why this is better.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hard ... -13085.htm

Good luck!