Are BackerHub and BackerClub competitors?

Anything related to BackerClub.
jcsoup

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am

Are BackerHub and BackerClub in competiton with each other? I was a member of BackerHub, which was essentially a Facebook Group until it disappeared. It didn't seem like it was anything like Backerclub, but was more a place for anyone who had supported a project to share their experiences. BackerHub suddenly disappeared from Facebook this week with no explanation, though they still have a static website. I'm wondering if they are competing groups?
TashaTurner

Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:38 pm

I would have said they filled some of the same space so maybe competition or could be complimentary. I thought I got an email from BackerHub on some Kickstarter deals this week. I've noticed a growth in "clubs/forums/etc." for people to talk about projects and where deals are given to members (I always assume in these cases founders are making money). I've gotten invites to 3-5 in the last month alone to "new crowdfunding clubs". I've checked them out and walked away as I've found the interfaces unusablel

All have pros and cons. I've found BackerClub to be one of the easiest interfaces to use but it's not hitting my buttons for the kind of projects I'm interested in.

My backer stats to put my last statement in perspective.
Joined BackerClub in Oct 2014 having backed 161 projects
Since joining BackerClub I've backed over 1,000 Kickstarter projects
I've backed under 300 BackerClub projects

So the club did help me become an addict but most of the projects don't appeal to me. For a while I was backing projects at $1-5 to support the group while attempting to talk to founders about wanting to have more say in the kinds of projects here but they made it clear they weren't interested in having that conversation at which point I've been less inclined to back projects "for the groups sake".

I may have answered way more than you were asking. BackerHub could be seen as a competitor or as a complimentary club. For a while I was seeing different projects promoted by both. Lately there has been much overlap in the promotional emails so probably a competitor. I've wondered what projects would do if I claimed perks under both clubs but decided that was unethical so have stuck with BackerClub or none.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
jcsoup

Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:08 pm

Interesting. Thanks for the reply. I thought that the idea of post-fulfillment experiences with products was a good idea on BackerHub. This was done on their Facebook page, but then it suddenly disappeared.
IsrealNahsohn

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:44 pm

I have been posting my post campaign experience once I receive my pledged gift. I might start posting the overall experience prior to receiving.....kudos to those campaigns with communication, etc...
numbat1

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:42 pm

I saw them as somewhat complimentary though there was an increasing overlap of promoted campaigns. I have been off Facebook for a while now so had not realised that BackerHub as gone. I enjoyed reading some of the feedback and ideas there and it was another way to share a project I thought worthy. I also found several projects there. I wonder what happened?