March April Private Lounge Feedback

Anything related to any of the Member's Lounges in BackerClub.
markalanbaker

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:46 pm

IsrealNahsohn wrote:I think that there should be a current maintained list of the projects that join between 3/27 and 4/30 to help BC members.
Great, suggestion. I"m sure we can get something setup. It might take a few days but I don't see any reason this can't be done fairly soon. Thanks for suggesting is Isreal!

Mark - Co-Founder
TashaTurner

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:49 pm

markalanbaker wrote:
IsrealNahsohn wrote:I think that there should be a current maintained list of the projects that join between 3/27 and 4/30 to help BC members.
Great, suggestion. I"m sure we can get something setup. It might take a few days but I don't see any reason this can't be done fairly soon. Thanks for suggesting is Isreal!

Mark - Co-Founder
Maybe start posting the projects as they come in. Do you need help? I'm sure one of the guys around here would be happy to volunteer. Just a simple project name & link. Nothing elaborate.
-Tasha http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/479254504
Backed over 3,700 Kickstarters
Social media coach http://tasha-turner.com @turner_tasha
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
markalanbaker

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Sure, maybe just start another thread in this Private Lounges category. Great idea!

Mark - Co-Founder
Rhonda T

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:16 am

I really like this idea in theory, but I think the particulars may need to be adjusted for next time (if there is a next time).

I like it and agree with the idea, because it supports the reasons that we are all here; interactions with backers about their projects and supporting of projects. Greater interaction with Creators will hopefully drive more projects to engage with BC. Maybe even more projects that peak my interest. ;) (Since I joined BC I have supported more projects that are not highlighted on BC than those that are. (Ratio 3:1)) For some reason, either it is the type of project that chooses (or chooses not to) work with BC, or the types of projects that the founders choose to work with, but they don't tend to be the projects that interest me.

That said, the possibility of winning BackerBucks will likely give me the incentive to open and read more projects and give comments then I do today, which may inspire me to make more small pledges than I normally do. It would be interesting to know, if the Founders are willing to share the results with us, how much these incentives raise comments overall, how many more backers comment over the next month than do so today, and if and how much it increases the number of backers who pledge and number of overall pledges that are made.

I also like the reward values, which i think are high enough to drive more engagement by Backers. It is a prize worth trying for. I voted for option 3, so that more backers can be rewarded for their contributions. While I love the idea of bigger prizes, if the purpose is more participation by more people, there should also be enough chances to win that everyone feels there is enough chance to win to put in the effort. Otherwise the low chance of winning will negate the additional participation

One particular that I would hope gets adjusted is the number of secret projects that are chosen. I would suggest that if this idea works out well and continues to be used for the lounges, that the number of secret projects be increased to a higher number. I attempted to count all of the projects added to the BC since March 1st, l deleted a few of the emails, but for the 20 days that I still had the emails, I counted 77 projects, which is 3.85 projects per day. assuming the same rate applies for the 35 days of the contest that equals 135 projects. The three secret projects only account for 2% of the expected volume of projects through the end of April. That stat there may be enough to keep some members from raising their engagement in hopes of sharing in the prize pool.

Perhaps the secret projects should be closer to 10 or 20% of the projects added to the BC during the contest time? A higher number of secret projects would also enable the secret projects to cross more interests of BC members and give more members a chance. Based on the comment boards, members, at least active members appear most interested in games, design and tech, and I would wager at least one of the three secret projects will be a game, which makes complete sense, but the chances that I will be backing that secret project are almost nil, because I don't generally back games. And I bet there are many members who don't generally back projects in any of the top categories.

Also, maybe the number of entries for the 1 project and 2 project levels could be adjusted. For the 1, I can see the reasoning on keeping that one low, in case people luck into having commented and pledged 1, but the number of entires for 2 seems low considering the low percentage of all projects those two projects are, 1.48% using my numbers from above.

Finally, IsrealNahsohn great idea to have a list of the projects to reference. Thanks to Tasha for keeping the list and including all of the links.
I think I have rambled on enough for tonight and I guess I should start spending more time in projects and less in the forums! :shock:
Rhonda
markalanbaker

Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:59 am

I like the idea of choosing more Secret Projects. What do the rest of you think? Maybe 10 instead of 3?

Mark - Co-Founder
TashaTurner

Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Let me add a twist to 10 mystery project a month. Not only do backers have to comment & back but creators must respond to comments. Winner gets $100 & creator gets their $s back for being a project. No other prizes.

I know a prize I'd love more than money. 3 mystery projects a week. Top winners get to work with founders on approving projects for one week. :mrgreen:
Add signature: Click your name, click send private message, click Profile tab, click Edit signature
ShadowCub

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 am

@markalanbaker, you said (in part):

"Let's say you back all 3 Secret Projects and get 100 entries. No matter what level you are, you'll get 100 entries in the grand prize drawing ($600 divided up some way to be determined by the survey). If you are a level 1 member, then you'd also get 100 entries in a second drawing for $100 for the lounge 1/2 drawing. But, if you are a level 7 member then you'd get the 100 entries in the grand prize drawing, 100 entries in the lounge 1/2 $100 drawing, 100 entries in the lounge 3/4 $100 drawing, 100 entries in the lounge 5/6 $100 drawing and 100 entries in the lounge 7 $100 drawing...lots more chances to win."

And from the contest announcement:

1 Secret Project = 10 entries
2 Secret Projects = 30 entries
3 Secret Projects = 100 entries

Okay, so far there have been 12 projects in 3 days (March 27-29). Based on that rater of 4 projects/day, during the entire contest period (March 27 - April 30) there should be around 140 projects total, of which only 3 "count" for contest purposes. If I back one project, my chances of hitting one of the 3 secret ones is just over 2%, and that would only get me 10 entries! If I back a project every single day, I still have about a 42% chance on not getting ANY entries at all.

Now if I happen to hit one secret project, I get 20 entries total, 10 for the Grad Prize and 10 for the 1/2 level lounge. If Tasha (sorry for dragging you into this, hun) happens to hit one secret project, she gets 50 entries total (Grand, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, and 7 lounges), 2-1/2 times the number of entries I get.

Best case scenario, assuming I get at least 1 secret project, I could theoretically win $700 ($600 Grand + $100 for the 1/2 lounge). Tasha could win $1,000, at least in theory. Over 40% more than I have any chance of winning.

That $35 spent on $1/project (and not all projects even offer a $1 or even $5 option) is half or more of my budget to spend on supporting projects that I actually LIKE for the month.

So, tell me again why, as a Two Star member of limited means I should be paying any attention to this AT ALL?

PS: Sorry for the attitude. It's just that the more I look at this, the more it seems designed for people with large wallets to win money they don't necessarily need and to make po' folks like me spend money we can't afford to still not be able to win anyway.
TashaTurner

Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

@ShadowCub no worries about using my name. Those are some of the reasons I think the contest is a bad idea.

I believe I've insulted/ticked off 1-3 creators so far pointing out how sexist their campaigns are - providing links to similar campaigns which didn't use sexist language was not well recieved (after I'd already called them sexist - tact is not my forte this month LOL). Normally I'd roll my eyes at those campaigns and ignore them. For the rest of the contest I'm going back to usual behavior.

I voted for the middle option for rewards. I didn't feel right given my high chance at winning that I should walk away with $600 after winning the last contest. I'm hoping others thought about actual chance of winning and voted for options 2 or 3.
ShadowCub

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:11 pm

Interesting. I typed up a lengthy response to Tasha's message immediately prior to this one, and when I came back looking for replies, it's not here.

Dunno if the site ate it during submission, or something else happened....
TashaTurner

Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm

I'd go with the site ate it. I'm dying to see your lengthy response.