Before we get started
FÜRST's Air Beanie is the NEWLY IMPROVED version of last year's Tatsu Down Beanie. Thousands of people like you made that the MOST POPULAR beanie in Kickstarter history!
This is the WARMEST and most VERSATILE beanie that you will ever wear - with even more features and abilities!
- UPGRADED FILL: Nano-Coated Down for Water Resistance
- ENHANCED SHELL: Windproof & Water-Resistant Nylon
- STREAMLINED SHAPE: Sportier Form-Factor, Glove-Like Fit
- IMPROVED COMFORT: Moisture Wicking, More Breathable
Why Invest in a Down Beanie?
Our heads are up to 5x more sensitive to temperature changes compared to other parts of our body. Therefore, it's essential to keep it warm and protected in cold climates.
We've long used knit beanies, but they tend to be itchy, inconvenient to pack away, and susceptible to strong winds.
Often we forget them at home because they're relatively bulky and don't fit into our pockets or take too much space in a purse.
Our previous project to address these issues, the Tatsu, became the most backed beanie on Kickstarter ever. After selling thousands of pieces in the past year, we've learned a lot from the feedback we've received. And by tweaking and tinkering with new ideas, materials, and manufacturers, we're now ready to introduce the result.
FÜRST's Improved Down Beanie
Think of it like an ultra-lightweight, extremely warm down jacket for your head.
With the Air, we strove to provide a more comfortable fit while introducing nano-coated, water-resistant down for even more weather resistance.
The pattern is inspired by Japanese designs, and we've incorporated advanced materials and construction techniques to produce an even higher performance product.
What hasn't changed is our commitment to help under-served youth discover the outdoors and become future stewards of our environment.
We're continuing to only use RDS-Certified (Responsible Down Standard) goose down that has been independently verified to ensure cruelty-free treatment of the animal.
Our 700 Fill Power Goose Down is rated higher (which means it's warmer and lighter) than certain recognized brands' jackets, and this grade of down feather can only be found in larger, more mature animals. This premium FP offers an incredible combination of warmth and packability.
FÜRST's specially treated down features a Permanently-Bonded Water-Resistant Coating. This nano coating enhances the natural hydrophobic nature of goose down to ensure additional protection against the elements.
Down is one of best insulators known to man. High quality goose down offers unparalleled versatility and comfort across a wide temperature spectrum. Compared to other beanies you might own, you'll stay warmer at lower temperatures, and it'll weigh a lot less too!
Our ultra-fine 20 denier nylon is made of a tight weave of silky soft fabric that naturally blocks the wind and provides strong protection against water. It’s also the perfect balance between durability and lightweight protection, allowing the down to loft to its maximum potential.
Even as the weather warms up, or as you engage in strenuous activity, you'll stay comfortable longer without having to remove and store your beanie. The Air Beanie is breathable thanks to microscopic perforations in the material small enough to resist liquid water droplets, yet large enough to vent water vapor (your sweat moisture) for it to escape.
The Air beanie is also lined with a moisture wicking sweatband that keeps your head dry longer even if you work up a sweat.
Weighing in at just 1 oz (29 grams), the Air beanie can practically vanish as it’s able to compress down to roughly the size of a golf ball. Once it's no longer needed, you can easily stow it away in a pocket or to your purse. This makes it perfect for everyday carry, so you always have it available on hand.
After hundreds of hours of development, and many revisions and prototypes, we're excited to present this product, but we still need your support to make the project a success. A pledge of any amount, however small, will mean a lot to us:
[HELP US SPREAD THE WORD]
We can't thank you enough for checking out our project and helping us make the Air Beanie a reality. We know not everyone will be able to support this campaign with a pledge, but if you support what we stand for, please help us spread the word by sharing on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, and other media.
How to Clean Your Air Beanie
When properly cared for, your FÜRST Air Beanie can last for decades. Periodic cleaning will help your down beanie last longer and perform at its best.
- Machine-wash on a gentle cycle at 82 °F (28 °C). If available, select the ‘extra rinse’ option. Use a down-specific soap or detergent, like Nikwax Down Wash.
- Skip the spin cycle. It’s better for your beanie to drip dry and/or use a tumble dryer.
- Soak your beanie for up to 60 minutes. Again, go for a down-specific detergent.
- Rinse by lightly squeezing out excess water (don’t wring it!) and follow the drying steps below.
- Once the wash is complete, carefully remove your beanie and lay it flat on a rack to dry. As you do this, gently fluff up the down filling.
- It may take up to 24/48 hours to drip dry depending on ambient conditions. As it dries, continue to occasionally fluff it.
- When almost dry, put it in a tumble drier on the lowest heat settings and check it regularly to prevent overheating. To maximize the loft of your Air Beanie, throw in two to three clean tennis balls to help fluff it up further.
Down is a tough performer against the cold, but when thoroughly soaked (even with the Air's nano-coating), it'll require a little extra attention to ensure it doesn’t get damaged.
Things to Avoid:
- Fabric softener. Stick to a down-specific detergent for the best results.
- Dish washing detergent. It will strip the natural fats and oils found in down that prevents it from clumping together and that provides its incredible loft.
- Dry cleaning. The solvents used in some dry cleaning processes can damage your beanie.
- A top loader with an agitator. It’s a rougher wash, and your versatile beanie deserves a gentle hand.
- The spin cycle. Down is heavy when it’s wet, so err on the side of caution to avoid damage.
- Wringing. Don’t wring your beanie, no matter how heavy it is. If you must, gently shake any excess water off while supporting its weight and squeeze out excess water.